Monday, August 27, 2007

How May I Help You?

Every once in a while we get calls that test our knowledge and powers of persuasion




Steve: Good afternoon, Chamber of Commerce. This is Steve, how can I help you?

Caller: I've never been to the Adirondacks and I am planning a trip with my family.

Steve: Ok, what kind of stuff are you looking to do?

Caller: Well, what I am really concerned about are the bugs. The bugs and the weather.

Steve: Sure, where exactly will you be staying?

Caller: In the Adirondacks. What's it like?

Steve: Which area in the Adirondacks?

Caller: The Adirondacks.

Steve: Ok, well if you can tell me which town or what attraction you'll be close to I can help you with what to expect.

Caller: Well, I said we'll be in the Adirondacks. How different can it be?

Steve: Well, the park is over six million acres.

Caller: 6 million acres? Well how big are acres? Can you drive through them or do you have to walk?

Steve: You can walk through an acre, but you'll need a car to get through all six million.

Caller: Well how about snow?

Steve: It snows in all of the Adirondacks, the amount depends on how far north you go.

Caller: What about those flies? The black ones? I heard you have millions. Mosquitos too.

Steve: Well, we do have them, but not at the same time as the snow.

Caller: You know what? I don’t think we’ll have a good time with all your problems. We’re going to the Jersey Shore instead.
Click.




Illustration by Lettie Petrie



ARCC: Good morning, Chamber of Commerce. How may I help you?

Caller: Ah, yes. I am interested in moose sightings. Can you help me?

ARCC: With moose sightings?

Caller: Yes.

ARCC: Sure. What exactly are you hoping to do?

Caller: I'd like to come and photograph moose in the Adirondacks, but I don't know where to go.

ARCC: Hmmm, I'm not sure. Can I take your information and call you after I do a bit of research?

Caller: Yes, thank you.


First, a call to the Bolton Land Conservancy, who related that it had been 2 years since a sighting. Next, the Adirondack Mountain Club referred us to Warren County E.D.C. From there we were advised to speak with Al Hicks, at the Fish & Wildlife Dept.

We've since sent an email to our moose seeking caller and added Al's number to our cheat sheet alongside the phone.


Chamber of Commerce, how can we help you?

0 comments: